Heritage Silver Trail
Site 9: Right-of-Way Mine
This property was originally owned by the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway; their mandate reserved the mineral rights over a distance of 50 feet on both sides of the railway track.
On September 12th, 1906 an Ottawa consortium leased this strip of ground from Mileage 101 to 105 for the sum of $50,000 and an annual royalty of 25%. This was the Right-of-Way Mining Company. Silver was even mined from beneath the railroad tracks at this location. Eventually over 3,000,000 ounces of silver was produced from this narrow strip of land.
The Right-Of-Way Mine Site includes a display of old mining machinery used in the past. The ore sorted at this facility was sent to a custom mill near the south end of Cobalt Lake.
In 2016 a fly-by video was made by Kyle & Mirianna Audette and posted to this address on YouTube for your viewing pleasure.
LOCATION: Nipissing Road GPS: 47.397783, -79.678252
© 2017-2018 Follow Us on FaceBook