Cobalt Historical Society
  • Postcard of the Larose Mine
  • Mucking at the Larose Mine 1908
  • The Larose Blacksmith Shop 1970
  • Blacksmith shop as it was in 1998
  • Larose Blacksmith shop 2017

Site 11: The Larose Blacksmith Shop

This building was originally located at a lower elevation beside the railway. It was at risk for flooding and tailing spills and was moved to the current site, and will likely be moved to Koza Park soon for easier access and parking.

The legend of Fred LaRose, his hammer and the fox, persists to this day. Regardless of the circumstances, Fred sold his mining interests to the Timmins brothers for $30,000 and subsequently returned to Hull, QC. The LaRose property eventually produced 17,500,000 ounces of silver and 200,000 pounds of cobalt.

LOCATION: Kerr Lake Road at south end of bridge. GPS: 47.398345, -79.676716

Previous page  Next site

Contact

   21 Silver Street
       Box 309 Cobalt, ON P0J 1C0
   Tel: c/o 705-679-5555
   Email: chs@heritagesilvertrail.ca
   Website: www.heritagesilvertrail.ca

  • FaceBook