1919-1920 Vernon's Directory a listing of Temiskaming District Businesses and Residents Also available for download below.
Ontario Heritage Act Register Gives lists of properties designated as Heritage sites.
Arthur Gordon Penman, an early mining man in Cobalt. The piece is one of a 51-part series Just Passing Through written by Allan Stacey for the Northern Ontario Railroad Museum & Heritage Centre in Capreol, for which he retains the copyright.
Francis Clyde Boyle Lendrum 1916-1995 A partial autobiography. The Lendrum family name may be familiar as Francis was born in 1916 to Cobalt Daily Nugget reporter Frank Lendrum and Ellener (née Boyle).
1957 Family Herald article about Antonio Giachino.
1896-1994 List of Mining Fatalities Ontario-wide.
1907 Buffalo Mines First Annual Report donated to us by Maurice O'Shaughnessy.
1908-10-26 AA Cole to JL Englehart A typed letter dated Oct 26, 1908 to J.L. Englehart, T&NO Railway, from A.A. Cole, Mining Engineer, describing a visit to Elk Lake and Gowganda in which he reports on various claims in those areas. [TR]
1908-11-06-AA Cole to JM Turnbull A letter on T&NOR letterhead to a gentleman in Trail, B.C., from A.A. Cole, the Mining Engineer of the railway, dated Nov 6th 1908. In this letter is a description of travelling to Gowganda via Earlton (?) to Elk Lake by road and thence further by canoe. A description is made of the geology and mining claims in the Gowganda area. [TR]
1909 Temiskaming Telephone Company Directory in PDF format
1911 Cobalt Audit Report is a very large file.
1913-12-01-AA Cole to JL Englehart A letter dated Dec 1, 1913 to J.L. Englehart from A.A. Cole, Mining Engineer, in which the latter provides an overview assessment of various silver claims in the Elk Lake and Gowganda Districts. [TR]
1925-11-30 AA Cole to George W Lee A letter dated Nov 30, 1925 to George Lee, Chairman, T&NOR from A.A. Cole, Mining Engineer, is effectively a typed "Report on Proposed Railway to serve Matachewan and Gowganda Mining Area." [TR]
Gowganda Ho by NR Green a typed manuscript describing a very early canoe trip to Gowganda by a N.R. Green, titled Gowganda Ho. Unfortunately there is no date associated with this story, but it is from the early days prior to or during the discovery of silver in Gowganda, so 1907 thereabouts. [TR]
Archaeological Sites in the Historic Cobalt Mining Camp Presentation in 2008 by John Pollock
The Nancy Helen Mine a short article © Allan Stacey on the Nancy Helen mine for the "Handcar", a bi-monthly newsletter of the Northern Ontario Railroad Museum and Heritage Centre. Offered here with permission; if quoted credit must be given to Allan Stacey.
Cobalt's Mayors A compiled list by the CHS
Temiskaming Testing Labs technical report that was part of a presentation given by the mill manager in 1952 - CVJ O'Shaughnessy. Photos were taken by Alex MacLean in 1943. The photos were used as part of the presentation. These photos have been also been posted to our album on our Facebook page.
Silver Mining In Ontario (1925) British Pathé shows the actual drilling and blasting. 5:05
Cobalt, Ontario has been designated Ontario's Most Historic Community for the key role it played in opening the north to settlement and launching Canada's massive mining industry. This footage was taken by amateur film maker Anthony Giachino in the years following the silver boom (1920s, 1930s). 4:37
Winter In Cobalt More footage from Anthony Giachino of the historic silver mining town of Cobalt, Ontario.3:32
Vintage scenes of Cobalt, Ontario Ontario's Most Historic Town. Silver was discovered in the area in the summer of 1903, during the construction of the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway from North Bay to the communities of Haileybury and New Liskeard, north of Cobalt. Within a few years the area was one of the largest silver producing areas in the world. 3:46
Crown Reserve Mine in Cobalt, Ontario. 1:43 [KA]
Cobalt, Ontario Emptied out mining cuts from the cobalt boom days. 4:58 [KA]
Right-of-Way mining head frame that can be seen up close on a tour with the town or on your own adventure. 2:02 [KA]
Cart Lake and the Provincial Head Frame Old mining head frames and tailings pond. 3:22 [KA]
Little Silver Vein old mines in Cobalt Ontario. 1:06 [KA]
Nipissing 96 100 year old mining head frame on its last legs, and now no longer there. 1:57 [KA]
The Coniagas Mine in Cobalt, Ontario 3:13 [KA]
Cobalt's Abandoned Mayfair Silver Mine Exploring the abandoned Mayfair Silver Mine Fall 2017, outside of Cobalt Ontario. 19:12
Bill Sutton describes the Ragged Chutes Air Plant on the day of its de-commissioning May 26, 1988 13:27
Nipissing Mine 3D Interpretation This is a 3D, computer generated model of the historic Nipissing Mine and Nipissing Hill in Cobalt, Ontario. [posted by North Country Aerial] 7:24
Appreciation is given to Ted Rafuse for sharing the documents marked [TR].
Deborah Vidmar for her generosity in allowing us to borrow the 1911 Cobalt Audit report and to have it digitized.
Kyle Audette for his permission to link his videos marked [KA].
Maurice O'Shaughnessy for the 1907 Buffalo Mines First Annual Report
Government of Ontario, Department of Mines for the Geotour
21 Silver Street
Box 309, Cobalt, ON P0J 1C0
Tel: c/o 705-679-5555